Put Your Passion to Work …
Are you passionate, service-oriented and want to be part of growing a team of professional planners? If you’re attracted to job diversity, a range of project types, work that challenges you to develop your skills, and a team-based environment, then V3 Companies has an opportunity for you.
We have an opening for an Urban & Rural Planner in our Sherwood Park, AB office. Here, you’ll find a stimulating environment that’s designed to enhance your professional growth and transform the world around us for the better. Our name reflects that commitment to you and those who live, work and play in the special places we help create: Visio, Vertere, Virtute – The Vision to Transform with Excellence.
V3 engages in a range of planning and civil engineering improvement projects throughout Alberta and other western Provinces for municipal and private clients. Our growing firm will provide you with a variety of opportunities to advance your skills in planning across a wide array of projects.
We believe that the worst thing we could do is to pigeonhole developing talent. Instead, we prefer to provide the outlets for you to discover what it is that you do best and what suits your goals for your continued career.
Our team is the most important asset that walks in our door, and we focus on providing the resources, mentorship and training to launch you to the next level. V3’s leaders work directly with all team members, transferring their knowledge, skills and techniques directly to you. Let’s plan and build your career, our company and great places together.
Here’s how you fit into the V3 Team:
The ideal candidates will possess strong technical, communication and organizational skills with a focus on being service oriented. A desire to be part of a growing enterprise and an interest in being more than a “cog in a wheel” also are essential. You will work directly with other Technologists, Design Engineers and Project Managers in executing design projects.
Here’s what you’ll do:
The complexity of assignment, project oversight, level of authority and interaction with clients will be matched to your specific skills and experience. As a planner at V3, you’d primarily be engaged in the activities listed below.
- Conduct research, perform basic market analysis and collect related data – including municipal regulations, acts, codes of practice, as well as historical/statistical data, soil and water well information, topography and existing land uses.
- Review potential clients’ properties and sites to provide information to support recommendations on land use and applications, site design and approvals processes and issues.
- Assist with the development of Intermunicipal Collaboration Frameworks, Intermunicipal Development Plans, Municipal Development Plans and Land Use Bylaws.
- Assist in developing Outline Plans and Area Structure Plans that meet the requirements of the approving authorities and municipalities.
- Produce high-quality project graphics, maps, diagrams and documents, using a variety of techniques and media.
- Assist in the development of project and document templates.
- Help prepare engagement materials and supporting engagement strategies.
- Prepare and submit applications for land use, subdivisions, permits, boundary adjustments, provincial and municipal appeals.
- Interact with V3’s Engineering Group on collaborative projects.
What more can we tell you?
Our office is located in Sherwood Park, close to the intersection of Anthony Henday Drive and Yellowhead Highway, about 22 minutes from downtown Edmonton. The planning projects that you’d be engaged in typically are located in and around Edmonton and other northern Alberta municipalities. In this role, you’ll report to – and work directly with – the Director of our Planning Group, providing you with a high degree of mentoring as you develop your professional skills and profile.
The job features competitive pay and paid time off, the potential for overtime pay, and a comprehensive benefits package. However, we think a real difference maker is our collegial team-based environment and the opportunity for you to not get typecast into one role or one type of assignment. If you thrive on variety, you’ll be excited to join our team.
By now, you’re probably wondering what’s important to us…
If you’ve visited our website, you can clearly tell that we emphasize our people. As a professional consulting firm entrusted by our clients to find solutions and provide quality advice, we’re only as good as each member of our combined team. That’s why each person we add to our team is important to us.
Of course, we believe in hiring the best people and care about your skills and experience relative to the role you’ll play at V3. But we also place a premium on character and cultural fit. Our win-win scenario is when you’re as happy working with us, as we are in calling you our teammate.
In terms of your background, the ideal candidate will:
- Have the skills to perform the activities listed previously.
- Possess a Master’s Degree in Urban / Rural / Regional Planning, Geography or Urban Studies from a Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) accredited program;
- At minimum, be eligible for membership in the Alberta Professional Planners Institute and a candidate for CIP membership;
- Understand the Alberta planning hierarchy and the relationship between the policy and planning documents listed above.
- Be fluent in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite’s Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop programs, ESRI ArcGIS, Trimble SketchUp and / or Autodesk AutoCAD.
Here are the next steps:
To help us get acquainted, please send your resume and a cover letter that tells us a bit about you to Rachel at email@example.com. We’re looking forward to making the connection.