Put Your Passion to Work …
Are you passionate, service-oriented and want to be part of fast-growing a team of professional planners? V3 Companies has an opportunity for you if you’re a person who’s attracted to diversity, interesting and challenging planning projects, and a collaborative team-based environment.
We have an opening for a Senior Planner in our Edmonton-area office. There, you’ll find a stimulating environment that’s designed to further enhance your professional growth and transform the world around us for the better. Our name reflects that commitment to you and those who live, work and play in the special places we help create: Visio, Vertere, Virtute – The Vision to Transform with Excellence.
V3 engages in a range of planning and civil engineering improvement projects throughout Alberta and other western Provinces for municipal and private clients. Our fast-growing firm provides a variety of opportunities for you to deploy your planning skills across a wide array of projects, including collaborating on projects with our U.S.-based team members.
Our team is the most important asset that walks in our door, and we are committed to providing the resources, mentorship and training to launch our team members to the next level. As a Senior Planner in our firm, you’ll be able to convey your experience and transfer your knowledge, skills and techniques to develop our entire team and enrich your working day.
As a key representative of V3, everything you do plays a critical role in helping us truly live our Core Values: Dedication to Employees, Unwavering Integrity, Commitment to Excellence and Focus on Clients. Without people like you we can’t succeed. Let’s join efforts to enhance your experience, build a great company, and plan for a better world by delivering projects of which we’re all proud.
Here’s how you fit into the V3 Team:
The ideal candidates will possess strong technical, communication, project management, organizational and business development skills with a focus on being service oriented. A desire to be part of a growing enterprise and an interest in being more than a “cog in a wheel” are essential. The team member in this role will be considered a key team leader, assisting the Group Director in advancing our Planning practice.
Here’s what you’ll do:
As a Senior Planner at V3, you’ll primarily be engaged in the following activities:
- Manage project execution, budgets and quality, as well as client relationships.
- Contribute to business development by acquiring planning assignments, engaging in industry associations, and being able to prepare responses to solicitations and Requests for Proposals.
- Develop Intermunicipal Development Plans, Intermunicipal Collaboration Frameworks, Municipal Development Plans and Land Use Bylaws.
- Develop Outline Plans and Area Structure Plans that meet the requirements of the approving authority, which are then ready for adoption as a Bylaw upon approval from Council.
- Review clients’ targeted and owned properties and sites to provide counsel on land use and applications, site design and approvals processes and issues.
- Research and relate information – including municipal regulations, acts, codes of practice, as well as historical data, soil and water well information, topography and existing land uses – related to client properties.
- Prepare and submit applications for land use, subdivisions, permits, boundary adjustments, provincial and municipal appeals.
- Present and support applications with municipal staff and represent clients at public engagement sessions, meetings and hearings.
- Keep fully informed of developments within the relevant municipalities by reviewing council decisions and related publications.
In terms of your leadership and supervisory authority, you will be expected to:
- Fully manage projects in terms from start-up through completion.
- Interact directly with clients in a comprehensive and ongoing basis.
- Offer mentoring and technical insight at the project level to junior planning staff.
- Provide QA/QC review of work produced by other members of the Planning Group.
- Interact with the Engineering Group on project execution (when applicable).
What more can we tell you?
Our newly-renovated office is located on the western edge of Sherwood Park, close to Anthony Henday Drive and about 20 minutes from downtown Edmonton. Our projects that you’d be engaged in typically are built in and around Edmonton and other northern Alberta municipalities.
The job features competitive pay and paid time off and a comprehensive benefits package. However, we think a real difference maker is our collegial team-based environment and the opportunity for you to not get typecast into working on the same type of project over-and-over. Being exposed to both private sector development and municipal projects will help you to develop and enhance a diversified skill set. If you thrive on variety, you’ll be excited to join our team.
By now, you’re probably wondering what’s important to us…
We wouldn’t have been named to the Top 5 list of North America’s Best Architecture/Engineering Firms to Work For without a passionate focus on our people. Because our Senior Planners play such an important part in defining who we are, we place a premium on character and cultural fit. Our website clearly communicates how much we value our team. As a consulting firm entrusted by our clients to provide solutions and quality advice, we’re only as good as each member of our combined team. Our win-win scenario is when you’re as happy working with us, as we are in calling you our friend and teammate.
Of course, we believe in hiring the best people and care about your skills and experience relative to the role you’ll play at V3, including your job experience, skills, or goals for professional development. For example, we’re looking for candidates with a university degree in Urban/ Rural/ Regional planning geography or urban studies from a Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) accredited program. You also should be a full member in good standing with the Canadian Institute of Planners and Alberta Professional Planners Institute.
Having an honest and open communication style also is a key trait. Because we are a very “flat organization” without a lot of layers of management, you’ll interact regularly with every staff member, your fellow leaders and the management of V3.
Here are your next steps:
To help us get acquainted, please send your resume and a cover letter that tells us a bit about you to Rachel at email@example.com. We look forward to making a connection.
Interested in this position? Fill out the form below.