- Due to the safety concerns associated with the large skew angle at the existing intersection of Eola Road/Heggs Road and US Route 30, V3 was hired by the City of Aurora to provide Phase I preliminary engineering and Phase II design engineering services for the realignment of Eola Road/Heggs Road from south of Wolf’s Crossing Road to US Route 30 along the future route of the WIKADUKE Trail. Heggs Road south of US Route 30 was permanently closed to traffic by Wheatland Township.
- The realigned roadway now intersects US Route 30 at a 90-degree angle to form a new “T” intersection approximately 2,050 feet north of the existing intersection location (which will subsequently be closed to traffic). Realigned Eola Road was reconstructed as a two-lane section with a 16-foot wide barrier median and full-depth shoulder along either side of the roadway.
- Phase I services included a preliminary engineering report, stormwater management report, wetland delineation and assessment, special waste screening assessment and an intersection design study for the proposed realignment of Eola Road at US Route 30. V3 also completed the environmental survey request form requesting agency reviews of environmental resources through IDOT’s Natural Resources, Cultural Resources and Special Waste Units.
- As the future WIKADUKE Trail alignment, the design criteria had to meet Strategic Regional Arterial standards for this section of Eola Road. The new roadway and intersection improvements were designed as an interim condition as the roadway will ultimately be widened to a four-lane urban section with adjacent multi-use path and sidewalk as the surrounding properties are developed.
- This project received an ACEC – Illinois 2021 Engineering Excellence Special Achievement Award and an APWA Public Works – Fox Valley Branch 2021 Project of the Year Award.
City of Aurora
City of Aurora