- The project is located 400 feet from a major arterial roadway as well as a high-volume commercial and retail district. Since the project is a staged construction which reduces traffic down to one lane in each direction, close monitoring, coordination, and revising of lane configurations was required.
- One of the challenges of this project was working over Salt Creek. The contractor performed all work on the bridge structure due to limited right-of-way beyond the bridge. A detour for the Salt Creek Greenway Trail passing under the bridge was maintained at all times.
- Another difficult challenge was installing permanent sheet piling for scour protection around the piers and between multiple utilities which cross the creek.
- Obtaining Phase I design approval was an early hoop so that the project could continue through the federal process and construct the necessary rehabilitation before the bridge needed to be closed due to continued deterioration. The project was let in April 2019.
- We also assisted the Village in obtaining the necessary funding. The Village was successful in securing Surface Transportation Program – Bridge funding as well as IDOT’s Major Bridge Program funds for construction.
- Prior to starting construction, we provided Phase I and II design engineering services and also conducted emergency repairs on the bridge to keep it open to traffic.
- The improvements included removal and replacement of the 17-inch, precast prestressed deck beams and complete superstructure above the beam seats, structural repair of the existing sub-structure, and full depth HMA pavement. Other elements included reprofiling and widening of the approaches.
- Phase I services included hydrologic studies, location drainage studies, bridge inspections and alternative rehabilitation analysis as well as environmental documentation and the preparation of a project development report in accordance with all necessary state and federal requirements.
- The environmental work included wetland delineations and the preparation of the preliminary environmental site assessment to determine the potential for hazardous and special waste impacts.